Universitat Rovira i Virgili

Health insurance

All students at the URV must have health insurance.

If you are a citizen of Spain or a foreigner with a residence permit, you must have medical insurance that is valid in Tarragona (either the Spanish National Health System or a private health insurance policy).

If you are a citizen of a member state of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland and entitled to insurance under the social security system of your country, then you can apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which can be obtained from the public health authorities of your home country.

If you are a citizen of a country outside the European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland, then you must find out whether there exists a mutual health provision agreement between the social security system of your country and Spain (this is the case of a number of Latin American countries). If such an agreement exists, you can obtain a document from the relevant authorities in your country entitling you to free medical coverage in Spain.

If you do not fall into any of the above categories or you cannot be issued with the document by the relevant national authority of your country, then prior to departure, you must take out private medical insurance to cover the whole stay in Tarragona.